
Well hurricane season is officially here. June 1st to November 1st. And I am officially freaked out. We had a lesson on hurricane preparation and I left feeling like it was the end of the world! I also am going to buy water until my garage is full. We were told that because of the oil spill, if we were to have a bad hurricane, water would cost more than gas and continue to for a long while after. So I'm off to Sam's Club and Walmart to clear them out of their water. Also I am going to buy those huge water containers and fill them up here at home. And also David and I have to decide where to evacuate to. Right now it's in TN somewhere with some friends parents, but we really don't know them. So I am trying to figure out where we are going to head. They are predicting I think 11 hurricanes, with 3-6 bad ones. Yikes! We really need to prepare. We are seriously lacking. We need food storage, plywood to cover the windows, FLOOD INSURANCE, water, first aid kits, and so on. They told us the best place to store important documents is in the dish washer, apparently it keeps them safe. So if any of you are ever on a cruise in the gulf coast and you see a dishwasher....it might have important stuff in it!
Wish us luck. I am praying that they aren't as bad as predicted.
Tuesday, June 1, 2010
Hurricane Season
Posted by Susan at 5:50 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
scary! I hope you get ready, and then don't need any of it! I will keep my eyes on the weather for the next little while....yikes!
Plan B: Evacuate to Utah. Because you know us. And we already know what drives us crazy about each other since we "been there, done that, and love it."
Just a suggestion.
Can't WAIT to see you!
ps - you will LOVE this website. it's so you: http://www.makeit-loveit.com/
I don't miss hurricane season! I kept our important papers in sheet protectors in a zip up binder that I could just grab and take. I also turned our camping gear into our 72 hour kit so it got rotated. When we had to evacuate for Hurricane Rita, we were ready in less than half an hour (too bad we got stuck for 18 hours on the freeway!). I remember seeing everyone in their cars lined up just trying to get into the Sam's Club parking lot and being grateful that we were already prepared. It brings a great deal of peace of mind.
After the first week of August, you can evacuate to North Carolina - where we'll be. I think we'll be far enough inland to be out of danger. I do need to renew flood insurance for our Texas home though. Fun times.
um, yikes!
One of the many reasons I don't want to move to Louisiana with Chevron.
Keep us updated and be safe! That sounds scary.
Post a Comment